The workshop starts at 13:30 with a seminar led by Gerard Wiegers, Mònica Colominas Aparicio (RUG) and Gulnaz Sibgatullina about Muslim minorities in historical perspective.
In the afternoon (16:00-17:00), filmmaker Dhia Ben Nasr will discuss his recent documentary about the Hui people in China with a response by Hui researcher Francesca Rosati. Both activities take place at the University of Amsterdam (UvA), in the Belle van Zuylenzaal (UB) at Singel 425. Between 17:30 and 18:45 you are invited to join a dinner (costs are 21 Euros per person for a vegetarian dinner) at Pakhuis de Zwijger, the venue where in the evening, the documentary “Somos Musulmanes” (subtitled in English), about a Muslim community in Mexico, will be screened, starting at 7pm (with a Q&A with Dhia).
Please join us for this exciting and fun program, or for a part of it!
Please register here for (parts of) the event. Keep in mind that a lot of effort goes into organizing such an event. We don’t charge you anything, but we do sincerely hope that if you register, you will show up!
- 13.30 – 15.30: seminar led by Prof. dr. Gerard Wiegers, Dr. Monica Colominas Aparicio and Dr. Gulnaz Sibgatullina about ‘historical and legal aspects of Muslim Minorities’.
- 15.30 – 16.00: coffee break
- 16.00 – 17.00: Dhia Ben Naser (member of Unexpected Muslims) will discuss his documentary about the Hui people in China with expert on the topic, Francesca Rosati
- 17.30 – 18.45: dinner at Pakhuis de Zwijger
- 19.00 – 21.00: screening of documentary ‘Somos Musulmanes’ followed by Q&A with filmmaker Dhia Ben Naser