Mr S.C.J.R. (Sebastiaan) Broere MA
Faculty of Humanities
Sebastiaan Broere (1989) holds bachelor degrees in history and philosophy from Utrecht University and master degrees from Utrecht University (History and Philosophy of Science) and University of California, Los Angeles (History). His research interests include the history of the social sciences, asylum care, and colonial science. Under the heading of Decolonizing Knowledge: Postcoloniality and The Making of Modern Indonesia’s Knowledge Culture, 1945-1970, he is currently pursuing a Ph.D. at the University of Amsterdam.
Broere's master thesis (HPS) entitled In and Out of Magelang Asylum: A Social History of Colonial Psychiatry in the Netherlands Indies, 1923-1942, has been awarded the 2017 Pieter van Foreestprijs and got the second award of the 2015 Volkskrant-IISG Thesis Award. This thesis was also shortlisted for the 2015 Huygens-Descartes Thesis Award.
Broere is an editor at history of science blog Shells and Pebbles. In case you are interested in posting a blog, please do not hesitate to contact him.
Treasurer at Gewina, the Belgium-Dutch association for the history of science and universities.
Editor at history of science blog Shells and Pebbles. In case you are interested in posting a blog, please do not hesitate to contact me.
- Broere, S. C. J. R. (2018). Leslie Topp. Freedom and the Cage: Modern Architecture and Psychiatry in Central Europe, 1890-1914. University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 2017. Isis, 1(109).
- Broere, S. C. J. R. (2016). Synthesis and Race: Barge, Buytendijk, and the "Rassenvraagstuk" of the 1930s. Studium, 9(4), 185-201.
- Broere, S. C. J. R. (2013). Interpretaties van het verleden: De experimenten van Galileo Galilei. Skript: historisch tijdschrift, 35(3), 161-173.
- Broere, S. C. J. R. (Author). (2016). Framing Elephant Disease: John Henry Steel’s A Manual of the Diseases of the Elephant and of his Management and Uses (1885). Web publication/site
- Broere, S. C. J. R. (Author). (2014). How to Diagnose their Ills?. Web publication/site
- Broere, S. C. J. R. (2014). Immorele getuigen: Over het morele potentieel van de herinnering aan de Holocaust. Aanzet, 30(1), 56-66.
Talk / presentation
- Broere, Sebastiaan (speaker) (12-5-2018): Reading Psychiatric Case Files in East and Southeast Asia: New Methodological Approaches (Lunch panel session), American Association for the History of Medicine, Los Angeles, United States.
- Broere, Sebastiaan (speaker) (27-2-2017): A Noble Anachronism: The Production of Veterinarian Expertise on Elephants in Colonial India, 1840-1900, History of Science Graduate Student Meeting 2017, Los Angeles, United States.
- Broere, Sebastiaan (speaker) (28-6-2016): Engelhard’s Ethno-Psychology: Measuring Minds in Central-Java, 1916-1925, ESHHS-CHEIRON Joint Meeting, Barcelona, Spain.
- Broere, Sebastiaan (speaker) (28-8-2015): A Mental Health System in the Colonies? The Case of the Dutch East Indies, Euroseas Conference, Vienna.
- No ancillary activities